Monday, July 31, 2006

Men Man

I wish I was more handy around the house. Not that I don't know how to
handle the shiney new electric screwdriver - I successfully got the fire
surround reattached to the wall and am firly confident that it won't fall
and squash a small child and this morning I managed to get the coat hooks
back on the wall after the man who came to read the gas meter pulled them
down. It's the bigger jobs that I wish I knew how to do since the so-called
professionals seem pretty rubbish most of the time. Firstly there was the
fire. Two different guys were involved in the fitting of a new gas fire
which was then condemmed by the guys who came to fit the second fire
(apparently it's a problem with the chimney and we and our neighbours could
have died a slow death from the noxious fumes - a simple test the first time
round would have spotted this). Then, last night we discovered a gap above
the new back door. Now it's nice to see daylight through the window but not
so nice to see it between the door and the frame. Thirdly, we got blinds
fitted at some of the windows and a) one of the rollers didn't roll; b) one
of the bedroom sets fell down completely and c) the big set of verticals in
the sitting room are all different lengths. It's not as if we've been going
for the cheaper option. The only thing we've not had a problem with is the
greenhouse which we women built ourselves and which is still standing firm.
I'm dreading the kitchen starting next week and am tempted to take a
plumbing course and tackling the bathroom myself. The only thing these guys
seem good at is drinking tea!

No comments: