Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Do I look Stupid?

I'm looking for a new car. Having sat inside a few there is one model that I'm keen on and so let the sales guy take me into the showroom to talk numbers. All I wanted to know was how much money I need to find. Having got out of me that I prefer the 3 door over the 5 door version (they just look funkier and the back seats don't get much action anyway), and that silver (or blue) would be my fave colour he went away to tap on a computer then came back and said he had found the ONLY car matching that description and that because it's the only one and they were going to do me a great deal I should hand over the deposit straight away. Oh and after taking a measly sum off for part-ex it was only just a few hundred over my budget. I umm'd and ahh'd a bit and sensing he was loosing he was replaced by the sales manager followed by the finance manager all telling my I was mad for not taking it. They even managed to convince The Wife - and it's a bloody good salesman who can do that! I eventually left, to much shaking of heads - it was the ONLY 3 door, silver Focus in the country and I was walking away.

Imagine my surprise then when I checked the dealers website and found page after page of 3 door, silver Foci! Imaging my greater surpise on seeing the very one that they had been trying to sell me was £1000 cheaper on the website than the 'fantastic' deal they had been offering.

Only one at a rock bottom price indeed. Pah! They have my number, now I'm just hoping that they call me.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Now that you know the car and a decent price - you can go in with confidence and tell the dealership you want this car, with these options at this price, and make them do you a decent deal.

When Ching has looked at new cars, we sit down and cruch numbers and go in with a piece of paper saying these are our numbers - make a deal or not.

Good luck with it!