Thursday, June 15, 2006

So hang me

What I am about to say may be considered tantamount to treason by my fellow countrypeople, especially after my verging on the obsessional interest in the curling at this years winter olympics (at least they had a chance of winning). But, I don't think that Eng-er-land will live up to all the hype and repeat the win of '66 that has been filling the TV/radio/newspapers for the last too many months*. I just don't think that 'we' have a particularly strong squad. The best things about the world cup is the empty supermarket during saturdays games and the empty roads this afternoon. Why can't those bloody car flags be banned? Why does every cake/biscuit/iced-bun in the bakers have to be covered in red and white icing? And, why was a half decent radio program's dominated by a debate about whether it is right for people to pull a sickie in order to watch the England games? It's just all wrong, it's only a game.

*I hope for my own sake that I am proved wrong here, for the wife is a keen footie fan (and we all know how happy a happy wife can make me).

No comments: