Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Real Reason

Last week at work I felt like I was constantly banging my head against a brick wall. Just when I think I've got the methodology sorted it all goes wrong again. I wasn't sure if it was something I was doing wrong and that it should be working or if it was just one of those things that goes wrong in every lab on a regular basis. Then I got to talk to some people affected by the disease I'm working on and who took a real interest in me and my work. That followed by a couple of days training and I'm now convinced that I can get the experiment to work, get some useful results and hopefully do something to make a difference. It doesn't have to be a big difference, just move things forward a bit.

Sometimes it is very easy to become engrossed in the small tubes of colourless liquids that I play with all day in the lab and forget about the human side of the disease. Meeting those people was just the motivation I need right now.

No comments: