Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Mad, bad and dangerous to know?


I am supposed to be training on a newly installed peice of kit this week but it has broken down already. Just as I was starting to get the hang of it and getting all excited about running proper samples, it starting throwing up all sorts of error messages. By the time it is fixed I will probably have forgotten even how to turn the thing on let alone do any analysis. Fortunately the technical support is pretty good so we should be up and running again soon. I have taken the opportunity to work from home on catching up with blog reading/writing report writing, grant applications and revising my Phd for my viva in a couple of weeks.

On the subject of grant applications, I've just started this project and we are already putting in new applications. Unfortunately I think this is going to be the story of my life, unless I make the break into industry. This isn't a move I'm keen on, I want my work to be useful in ways other than to line the pockets of the share holders but at the same time all the bureaucracy in academia is already getting in the way of me just getting on with research. This article sums it up nicely, and I guess it's that 'eureka' moment that keeps me going. As for whether I look like a mad scientist should do - perhaps I do a little bit first thing in the morning but for you own sake I shall leave it to your imagination!

No comments: