Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Inbreeding

A child whose parents are both scientists are more likely to be autistic so says this article. Apparently, people such as scientists, engineers or mathematicians are 'systemizers' and the genes which are responsible for making such people analytical "may also impair their social and communication skills". A Cambridge prof suggests that systemizers "tend to be less interested in the social side of life, and can exhibit behaviour such as an obsession with detail - classic traits associated with autism" (I wondered why people keep telling me I have an obsessive personality and I'll take my computer and a quiet night in over a social function any day).

"Professor Baron-Cohen said the rise in autism might be linked to the fact that it had become easier for systemizers to meet each other, with the advent of international conferences, greater job opportunities and more women working in these fields".

Which conferences does he go to? A conference is the last place I would think of looking for a spouse (one of us in the family is quite enough thank you). Or perhaps I'm just happily settled with the wife, who fortunately is not a systemizer but is a rather good poet.

No comments: