Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Planting

About a month ago I came home from work to find that the wife had turned the kitchen into a potting shed. She was determined to start the tomatoes off early this year and while she was at it sowed onions, leeks, cabbages, carrots and parsnips. I got home yesterday and the first thing she said to me was "Don't play war with me". This usually means that she's been shopping and filled the freezer (the freezer is always full to bursting but the wife can always seem to find more space to fill). However, I soon discovered that she's been transplanting the original plants into bigger pots and then planting more - this time radish, lettuce (3 varieties), spring onion, cauliflower, sprouts, peas, more leeks and more parsnips. How could I play war about that. It just means I'm going to have to get outside and build the replacement greenhouse. Besides, the plants keep her happy. The other morning she got up to put the kettle on and when she didn't return for 10 minutes I went looking for her. She was bent over the seedlings, talking to them and watering them with a teaspoon. It amuses me everytime but she swears that that is why the stuff tastes so good.

No comments: