Thursday, June 09, 2005

Waiting

How long does it take to decide who gets the job? It's been a week now and about time I knew one way or another, preferably that it's coming my way. I really want this job for two reasons. Firstly I really love the work it involves and it is a continuation of my current project, which I get the impression is quite rare. People seem to have to move onto different areas in order to get a job. Secondly, there are few opportunities in this subject area in this region and so I would probably have more success with a move back to London, or at least to the south-east. This is out of the question since the wife has too many commitments here and I wouldn't want to go back to the Smoke anyway. Samuel Johnson said that "a man who is tired of London is tired of life'. But I'm afraid I enjoy life up north too much (Cheaper, slower, more free time). And the people are nicer, you can't stand at a bus stop here and not have someone talk to you - (when I first got here I thought I was about to be attacked by a mugger who wanted a polite discussion about the previous nights football first).

If I don't find someone who wants to employ me soon I shall have to go for plan B and start thinking about having babies. That will please my mother and she might stop asking when am I going to stop being a student and get a proper job.

1 comment:

Colcam said...

My fingers are crossed.