Tuesday, September 20, 2005

New Faces

I keep hearing about how face transplants are about to be performed by surgeons in the US. Although I haven't read much about it here are my thoughts on the matter.
I may be being cynical, but how much medical use will this technique have and is it a case of a couple of surgeons wanting their 15 minutes of fame? Unlike the routine transplantation of other organs which are often necessary to save life, I'm guessing that most face transplants will not be life saving. I'm hoping that they would only be for people who have been severely disfigured and not as alternative to a nose job or botox for example (Presumably if people are psychologically disturbed enough to require face transplant for no reason other than vanity they wouldn't cope to well with walking around with the face of a dead person). Then there will be the anti-rejection drugs that recipients will be required to take for life. However, I would imaging that the new face will actually look more like the recipient than the donor as it is the underlying bone and tissue that gives the face its shape.

Whatever the ins and outs of it, I personally don't like it. But that's just my opinon.

No comments: