Sunday, November 13, 2005

Remembering

I was watching the remembrance day parades this morning and, among other thoughts, wishing I knew more about the history of the early 20th century and the two world wars in particular. I dropped history at school as soon as I could as I just couldn't see the point of it. All we seemed to do was how castles why castles were built on a hill surrounded by a moat and I think the wives of Henry 8th must have been taught because I can remember 'divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived', just don't ask me to name them. Perhaps all of this did shape the Great Britain we live in today but more modern history might have been more relevant to life today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, if it makes you feel better, I'm still learning a lot about our history, and it's a lot shorter time period than yours :-)

I tried reading some essays to Christopher Hitchens the other day and realized just how much I know about European history - zilch!

Beth