Friday, October 06, 2006

Fun and Games

Last night I was once again kicked out of our bed to make way for another girl. The 6 yr old GrandKid stayed with us for the night meaning I was relegated to the spare bed. I don't mind, she's fab and I love her to bits and what better way to spend an evening than baking chocolate cake - although I don't know what got covered in the most chocolate, the kitchen or us (it certainly wasn't the cake). One thing we have noticed however is that she is jealous of the closeness between me and the wife (her nan). The wife has a habit of calling everyone 'darling', including family members, shop assistants and anyone else who hasn't upset her and the GK is the biggest darling of all! Often when the wife calls me darling the GK gets stroppy and asks "why do you call her darling and not me?" Of course she's always calling her darling. The GK has no idea of the true relationship between me and her nan but has always sensed, and been jealous of, the closeness (the first time I met her she was 18 months and she climbed up on the sofa between me and the wife, cuddled in to her nan and gave me a filthy look). At the same time she loves the fun we have and the attention she gets, which I don't think she gets at home and the place is a mad house when she's around (okay, so not just when she's around). If I have to sleep in the spare room for anyone I'm glad it's her, and not just because it gives me an excuse to do what six year olds do and give up being a grown up, just for a few minutes.

No comments: