Sunday, December 11, 2005

The wheels on the bus



I have to confess to being a bit of a bus spotter (I can spot a Vanhool from a Scania at 100 meters) so I was sad to read about the end of the Routemaster on the streets of London. When I lived down there I much preferred to take the bus than the Tube and often used to take a route that used the old Routemasters rather than the modern pay-the-grumpy-driver buses. There was something special about crossing Westminster bridge and passing Big Ben on the number 12, although on a number of occasions I jumped off the back and crashed straight into a lampost! The reasons for getting rid (maintenance cost, health and safety etc.) are out numbered by the reasons why they should be kept, in my opinion. Of course their case isn't helped by the fact that they need two staff, driver and conductor (conductors being more friendly and helpful than drivers make this a plus if you ask me) I expect the accountants can't wait for the day when London transport can be controlled remotely from a call center in India! It's like trying to get rid of the yellow taxis in New York (not that I have ever been to New York, but I did experience a scary yellow taxi ride in Philadelphia last year), anyway, I expect it wouldn't be allowed. Perhaps to console myself I'll go and build a paper bus (and start thinking about something sensible to blog about)!

No comments: